Goblinstomper! Development Diary (XII): Clutter Increases

Still no real advances today.  That isn’t to say I didn’t move forward, though.

For instance, I solved the problem with the guards.  Mainly by stopping over thinking the damn thing.  Let me tell you about it before hitting what I want to talk about today.

gs-development-026

The guard problem goes like this: I have an enclosed area with two guards on either end (as shown above).  They will move out-of-place when certain conditions are met, but on returning to where they are the Player finds they’re back in place.  Worse, they aren’t going to move again.  This isn’t an inescapable trap by any means, but once out there’s no going back in.  Which is something I don’t want.

My first solution involved programming movements.  The Player asks the guard to move again and the Guard moves again.  Easy peasy.  Except for all the work involved.  And setting up an extra set of programming to keep them from trying to move again.  Or a stretch (brief or not) where the character wasn’t in the Player’s control

It would work, but it isn’t elegant.  At all.

The solution?gs-development-046

Move the damn guard out of the way.  On entry, I have him transferred over to his post blocking the way, but after he moves out of the way, he won’t ever return to block the way again.

A similar solution will be implemented on the other gate when I finally get there.

Assuming I ever do.  Ha. Ha.  Ha.

(Actually, I think it might be tomorrow, which means Saturday I should be really moving forward.)

As well as fixing the minor gaffes I put in place, I’ve been better organizing things and reducing clutter.  If there’s one thing RPG Maker MV is really good at, it’s clutter.

Which is my segue into what I wanna talk about today.

The RPG Maker MV has a simply marvelous Character Generator.  Simply marvelous.  Light years better than their earlier engine, the RX Ace.  Far less likely to create a horrific abomination that not even God could love, too.

But it does have one little problem, which our Hero Hero has gladly… um… volunteered to demonstrate:gs-development-047

I’ve put a box around the image so you can see that it’s not just Hero badly centered.

That?  That’s a lot of dead space.

It also happens every time I make a character.  Major or minor.  Four walking sprites and as much white as you could want.

I may have mentioned, the clutter increases.

The solution isn’t that hard to come to: Just combine all the playable character files into one image.  Like so:gs-development-048

There’s even a little left over for more characters.  Or special outfits for characters who want to dress up as guards.

Um… Spoilers?

To do this, I just open up my pal Paint.Net, set up a layer, do a little cut and paste, and after five minutes of simple work I of course screw up a couple dozen times I have the above  image.  MV even makes the task a little less painful by allowing me to save the sprites just where they need to be.

With all the walking sprites taken care of, I’ve deleted the extras, thus freeing up space (MV has a master file for each character as back up, so I’m not concerned of losing things.)

This isn’t the only example of clutter build up.  This time, let’s pick on… er… just pick a character we haven’t seen much of.  Say Val:

gs-development-049

Again, this portrait a lot of wasted space.  And, unless I don’t want the character’s face to pop up with whatever they’re happening to say, it’s going to build up clutter.  Which means more consolidation, right?

Not exactly.

Everything I said about the walking sprites holds true with the portraits.  Where it gets fun is with the Character Generator itself.  With just a few clicks, I can give Val here a different expression.  Meaning a visual representation of her expressing emotion for whatever part of the game I need it for.  Like so:

gs-development-050

It’s not a perfect idea.  Her eyes in the second image don’t quite match.  But it’s something that I can tweak.

Later.

In fact, all the additional images are for later, when I’m fleshing out the story.  However, working on it a bit here and there means I’ll have it ready when I am working on that part.

Which will never get there if I spend all my time here.

See you tomorrow.

Advertisements

2 Replies to “Goblinstomper! Development Diary (XII): Clutter Increases”

  1. Nice work on the sprite dilemma. As far as Val goes, the eyes match closely enough as to be undetectable (in an Astro Boy, Speed Racer, Japanesque anime sense – yay 60s).

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s